- Position: Marketing/Business Development Assistant
- Firm: Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: August 8, 2017
- Contact: Kirkland & Ellis LLP - Careers
Kirkland & Ellis seeks an entry-level marketing and business development professional to support the Restructuring Practice Group. The role will report directly to the Business Development Director for this area. Responsible for assisting with initiatives included in the development plans for the Restructuring Practice of the Firm such as: assisting with internal and external events, new business pitch preparation, marketing collateral maintenance, matters database maintenance, CRM maintenance, research, award submissions and nominations, and general practice group operations. The individual will also handle any other projects assigned.
- Assist in the overall implementation of development plans for the restructuring practice.
- Tasks include, but are not limited to, assistance with:
- Seminars, events and speaking engagements (internal and external)
- Marketing collateral development and maintenance
- CRM data entry
- Business pitches and presentations
- Matters database maintenance and data entry
- Award submissions and nominations
- General administrative support
- The candidate may also be called upon to assist with various other initiatives that intersect with other functional areas within the business development context.
- Must work effectively as part of the overall Business Development team.
- Must be a resourceful, self-starter with excellent oral communication and organizational skills.
- The ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, a very strong attention to detail and a professional demeanor.
- Meticulous data entry, writing and proofing skills.
- A bachelor’s degree and one or more years of experience is required. Law firm and/or financial/professional services experience is preferred.
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize a diverse range of assignments and projects.
- Proficiency in methods of information acquisition, including the use of online information databases, tools and resources.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills necessary to maintain effective relationships with partners, staff, and vendors.
- Excellent client service orientation and listening skills, be comfortable interacting with Firm leadership and key department personnel, and possess diplomacy, enthusiasm and a sense of humor.
- Position: Marketing Manager
- Firm: HBR Consulting
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: July 26, 2017
- Contact: HBR Consulting - Careers
HBR Consulting seeks a passionate and experienced marketing professional to provide strategic marketing direction and execution to help grow the Firm’s Managed Services (MS) business.
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with individuals at all levels and be a part of a diverse and high performing team.
- Experience in content creation, campaign development, marketing strategy, event planning and execution and digital marketing are highly desirable.
- In collaboration with the marketing director, the marketing manager will propose and manage the MS marketing budget.
- A bachelor's degree is required, ideally with a focus in marketing.
- Seven or more years’ experience in branding, content, digital marketing, media and communications.
- Professional services experience required.
- Proven experience creating, managing and implementing marketing / branding strategy.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Analytical expertise developing metrics and KPIs to measure success.
- Ability to work with and develop strong business partnerships and relationships, internally and externally. Excellence in client service is essential for role success.
- High level of comfort with ambiguity and the ability to manage multiple and complex priorities.
- Strong project management skills are required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Familiarity or experience with marketing automation tools is desired.
- Experience with NetSuite is a plus.
- This position reports to the marketing director with no supervisory responsibilities.
- Position: Business Development Specialist
- Firm: Locke Lord LLP
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: July 25, 2017
- Contact: Stephanie Myers - Locke Lord LLP
Seeking a results-driven Business Development Specialist in its Chicago office to help support the Firm’s global business development initiatives with the ultimate goal of driving and growing revenue.
- Serving as the business development liaison to assigned Firm-wide practice groups and sections; activating practice group and section marketing and helping to establish and carry out viable marketing plans.
- Developing customized pitches, responses to RFPs, and other marketing collateral for new business opportunities and client meetings.
- Working with practice groups and sections to determine effective, detailed approaches to pursuing new business while driving the follow-up and implementation.
- Serving as point person for practice- and industry-related sponsorships and events.
- With the support of the Business Development Research team, reviewing in-depth research and analysis of individuals, companies, industries and competitors to determine a strategy for outreach.
- Analyzing, evaluating and tracking existing and potential business development initiatives across the Firm; with input from the Marketing and Business Development Manager, the Director of Business Development and Chief Marketing Officer, recommend strategies and tactics to increase the initiatives' overall effectiveness.
- Minimum of four years of business development, marketing or consultancy experience (law firm or professional services firm experience is a plus).
- Undergraduate degree is required, with a specialization in business or marketing, or an equivalent field.
- Able to successfully manage and prioritize a heavy workload, meet deadlines and delegate tasks.
- Proven track record of driving successful revenue-building initiatives.
- Sophisticated understanding of targeted cross-servicing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work with all levels of personnel.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and familiar with research and client/contact databases.
- Client-service oriented.
- Position: Business Development & Marketing Assistant
- Firm: Barack Ferrazzano
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: July 25, 2017
- Contact: Barack Ferrazzano - Careers
Barack Ferrazzano, a mid-size law firm headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, is looking for a Marketing Assistant to join our Marketing Team. This position will report to the Business Development & Marketing Director. This individual will effectively handle the daily administration of the department to assist with the Firm's business development and marketing goals and initiatives.
Essential responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Update and maintain social media platforms and website content, including image library and attorney headshots.
- Assist with event coordination and execution (maintaining RSVPs, assembling materials, name badges, on-site assistance, etc.).
- Assist with coordination and fulfillment of sponsorship and speaking events.
- Data entry and maintenance of Contact Management System (CRM), as well as experience and opportunity tracking.
- Assist with firm accolade submissions, directory listings, pitch materials and presentations.
- General administration duties include maintaining a calendar of events, meetings and project deadlines, as well as inventory of marketing collateral.
- Additional duties upon request.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or a related field preferred; OR a minimum of two years on-the-job experience handling similar duties.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and InDesign.
- Experience with social media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize to meet required deadlines and deliver accurate work product.
- Organized with high level attention to detail and strong written/verbal communication.
- Ability to work independently and as a team, and interact with all levels of staff and firm management.
- Ability to work overtime on occasion.
- Minimal local travel for on-site event assistance.
- Position: Business Development and Marketing Manager (Litigation)
- Firm: Sidley Austin
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: July 22, 2017
- Contact: Sidley Austin - Careers
The Business Development and Marketing Manager serves as a liaison to various Litigation practices. S/he will work directly with the partners in the practices (across various offices worldwide) to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans, and manage an aligned range of business development and marketing initiatives.
Projects for this position may include: securing panel and other appointments through the submission of written proposals/pitches; managing and assisting with the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group (including experience databases); working with the practice leaders to monitor progress against planned priorities; preparing and supervising directory submissions and improving the profile of the practices and developing strategy for participation in or planning of major events. S/He takes an active role in learning about these and other practices and developing the groups’ and the firm’s internal knowledge about its clients and business in order to foster cross-selling.
S/he will also have managerial and mentoring responsibility for the Business Development and Marketing Coordinator working with these practices.
Strategic Practice and Client Development
- Consults with Practice Area Team (PAT) leaders and key partners on development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the practice and individual lawyers within the PAT.
- Attends and contributes to PAT meetings and planning sessions.
- Tracks and analyzes practice initiatives and how those initiatives impact the practice’s budget and provides evaluation of past initiatives to determine if there is sufficient ROI to repeat those initiatives.
- Evaluates the viability and probability of the development of business prospects and cross-marketing efforts of the practices.
- Manages, develops and refines processes and procedures relating to the practice's business development "infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral; database/matter lists; contact lists; opportunity tracking; etc.). Maintains an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, deal lists, etc. are consistent, error-free, and up to date. Ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources.
- Coordinates with Market Intelligence team to conduct industry and client research to aid in practice development initiatives.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
Proposals and Pitches
- Serves as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches, both for the primary practices and other groups, as necessary.
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity.
- Writes new business proposals and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/ RFPs.
- Serves as advisor in preparing and rehearsing pitch teams.
- Supports follow-up and debrief activities post-pitch and reports them back to firm leaders.
Other Marketing and Profile-raising Activities
- Leads practice area's submission of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information.
- Works with Regional Marketing Programs teams to hold Sidley-sponsored and other co-hosted programs and events.
- Coordinates with Communication team on PR opportunities.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the firm in global and industry platforms.
- Participates in hiring, managing and developing junior members of their team.
- Oversees daily operations and reviews staff work.
- Manages professional development of staff goal setting, coaching and training.
- Prepares annual performance appraisals and provides timely feedback on performance.
- A minimum of eight years of professional experience with at least four years of experience in law firms (especially in the practices listed above) and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in financial services industry or other professional services industry.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university, preferably in business or similar field.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities and take initiative to drive projects.
- Exceptional organizational skills, and excellent writing, proofreading and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated PC experience required, including in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Candidates with an M.B.A or J.D., experience and knowledge of the legal litigation landscape, supervisory, managerial and/or project management experience, and familiarity with databases such as S&P, CapitalIQ and other resources are preferred.
- Strong attention to detail, good judgment, strong interpersonal communication skills, strong analytical and problem solving skills will also be required of the successful candidates, as will the ability to work harmoniously and effectively with others, the ability to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion, the ability to work under pressure, and the ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities.
- Position: Business Development Coordinator
- Firm: McGuireWoods LLP
- Location: Chicago, Charlotte or Atlanta
- Date posted: May 17, 2017
- Contact: McGuireWoods - Careers
Job opportunity still active as of July 24, 2017
McGuireWoods seeks a self-starting, enthusiastic individual to join its Marketing & Business Development team as a Business Development Coordinator in one of the following cities: Charlotte, Chicago or Atlanta. The candidate most closely aligned with the role will have a collaborative work style and experience supporting revenue-generating activities in a professional services environment, supporting the marketing and business development activities for practice areas, industry teams and client teams.
- Conduct research, drafting, and positioning at the onset of new opportunities.
- Input data and develop reports for experience collection and management.
- Be the protagonist for lateral attorney onboarding activities.
- Draft submissions for legal and industry-specific league tables and rankings.
- Partner with research team to gather and synthesize information related to business development opportunities.
- Execute the logistics of events to include conferences, seminars, webinars, and receptions.
- Serve as the point of contact for communications team on marketing collateral and business development materials.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of marketing and business development experience in a professional services firm.
- Proven proactive approach to work assignments.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects with competing deadlines in an efficient and productive manner.
- Position: Business Development Manager
- Firm: Schiff Hardin LLP
- Location: Chicago
- Date posted: February 19, 2017
- Contact: Shiff Hardin - Careers
Job opportunity still active as of July 28, 2017
Schiff Hardin is hiring a Business Development Manager to join its developing team. The BDM will report directly to the CMO. The firm is looking for someone who likes providing hands-on BD and marketing support, has a proven track record of credibility with attorneys, and enjoys managing a team. Responsibilities include research, pitch and RFP responses, directory submissions, BD training, and client targeting and development. The BDM supports and coaches practice group leaders and individual attorneys on business development efforts and annual strategic planning and budgets, manages and develops a team of BD Specialists, and maintains oversight for practice group-related materials (RFP responses and capabilities statements, website, experience, directories, etc.).
- Team management – Manages and mentors Business Development Specialists, who are assigned to specific practice groups, and the department’s Research Analyst.
- Practice group business planning – In coordination with the CMO, collaborates with practice group leaders and firm leadership in developing and executing business development strategies, including the planning and execution of new business and cross-selling opportunities. Tracks and follows up on opportunities.
- Business development – Proactively translates his/her understanding of firm’s strategy and capabilities into opportunities by leveraging research tools, CRM, analysis of trends, and other resources. Develops action plans for groups and individuals and provides accountability, support, and implementation.
- Attorney coaching – Provides coaching to attorneys and groups on specific opportunities, as well as on the legal marketing/BD discipline. Along with CMO, develops curriculum and training tools on best practices for relationship and client development.
- Capability materials – Oversees the maintenance of capability materials and establishes experience database and collection protocols.
- Response generation – Oversees the preparation of new business presentations, pitch books, responses to RFPs/RFIs, and other business development presentations. Contributes original writing or oversees development of written materials.
- Directory and other submissions – Oversees the Chambers submission process, providing direction to BD Specialists, as well as other submissions as necessary.
- Research – Directs research function to support client and competitor analysis, trend reporting, and opportunity finding.
- Thought leadership, content strategy and PR – Works with Director of Marketing and Communication and BD team to identify thought leadership, media and other content opportunities, and helps to implement related strategies.
- Events – collaborates with the events team on BD-related aspects to events, including sponsorships, event attendees, program development, presence at events, and follow-up.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree and at least seven years of leadership experience in a law firm handling business development, competitive intelligence and strategic planning functions is required.
- This position requires an enterprising and self-directed leader.
- The successful candidate will have a proven track record in motivating, mentoring and building a team.
- Attention to detail and a strong work ethic required.
- The ability to effectively communicate to all levels of firm personnel is a must.
- Experience with litigation practice areas is a plus.
- Some travel to firm offices may be required.
- This is an exempt position and it may be necessary to work outside of regular business hours (9 am - 5 pm) at times.